Lent is the season of the church year when we prepare our hearts and minds for Jesus’ death and resurrection. It is the 40 days preceding Easter, excluding Sundays. Lent began with Ash Wednesday, the day when we recall our need for God, remembering our own mortality – “dust you are and to dust you shall return.” Lenten devotional booklets are available on the back table with readings and prayers to assist you in a prayerful Lenten journey.
Rev. Dr. Jean Kim has written a book about her life titled, “Hope in the Color Purple.” You may recognize her name from her work founding the Church of Mary Magdalene for Homeless Women (now Mary’s Place) and her more recent work with her foundation helping the homeless to obtain a college degree or accreditation. We hope to have Rev. Dr. Jean Kim visit us in April during worship and share a moment for mission with us.
The Snomageddon of 2019 led to our canceling Sunday worship for the first time in many, many years on February 10th. Hopefully you received word from us about the closure and did not attempt to drive over and navigate our very slippery parking lot. If you did not receive word, please let the church office know so that we can improve our system of notification.
Come and join us as we prepare to welcome the Christ Child!
· Advent Jazz with special soloist Nichol Eskridge – Sunday, December 16th, music beginning at 9:45AM. We will be treated to amazing jazz and gospel music for the Advent season. The music of composer/pianist Vince Guaraldi (Charlie Brown) will be included.
· The Women’s Association Bake Sale will be held following worship. Come and buy some treats for the holidays and support the women’s mission causes.
· Choir Christmas Cantata – Sunday, December 23rd, 10AM. The choir will lead us in a special musical service with the Christmas story presented in song.
· Christmas Eve worship – ONE SERVICE – at 5PM. We will celebrate the birth of Jesus early in the evening with a “come as you are” Christmas pageant. Arrive by 4:45 to select a costume for yourself or a child, and join us as we build a living nativity during the service. We need sheep and shepherds, angels and wise ones. Bring your family and join us! The service will conclude with candle lighting.
Here’s the plan for the special worship services and events at Edmonds Presbyterian in December so you may mark your calendars:
· Saturday, December 1st – The annual Hanging of the Greens. Come at 10AM to decorate the church for the Advent and Christmas season.
· Sunday December 2nd – This is the first Sunday in Advent. Our celebration begins with a festive worship service including communion.
· Sunday, December 16h – 10AM - Advent Jazz with Gina and special guest musicians. Plus the Women’s Association will host an annual bake sale – all proceeds go to their mission causes. Bring an item to sell and $ to pick up some goodies from others.
· Sunday, December 23rd - 10AM Worship with the Choir Cantata- A musical presentation of the message of Christmas by our Choir.
· Monday, December 24th – 5PM (note the time change.) We will celebrate the birth of Jesus early in the evening with a “come as you are” Christmas pageant. Arrive by 4:45 to select a costume for yourself or a child, and join us as we build a living nativity during the service. We need sheep and shepherds, angels and wise ones. Bring your family and join us! The service will conclude with candle lighting.
Jan Griffith will speak on Sunday, July 8th during the worship service. We will have the opportunity to learn more about her current ministry in Sweden. Jan has been a missionary in Sweden for many years. Some of the people Jan’s church and Christian school reach are refugees. Jan grew up in Edmonds Presbyterian Church. Her parents, Bob and Marian, served in the church in many ways.
A monthly newsletter of upcoming events, celebrations, and news of the church community.